Thursday, October 31, 2013

Blogtoberfest, Day 31: Robbie Shockney

How have connections with other professionals improved your practice? Today's entry is from Robbie Shockney, Social Science Teacher at Diegueno Middle School:
In 1994, I was 12 years old and just met my English teacher for the first time. “She seems cool,” we would say. Little did I know how cool she was. Through her visionary guidance, she supported my social, emotional, and academic growth in ways I can never repay her for. This teacher gave me more than lessons in an English class, her connection with students was a guiding light though awkward years of adolescence.

In 2007, I was 24 years old and just met my master teacher for my first time. Anxious and excited to get into a classroom and work with kids, her wisdom and direction provided me a path to an experience where I could grow professionally. My mistakes were made to seem like minor bumps in the road and my successes like New Years Eve. As a veteran teacher who emphasized not only academic growth for all students, but a sound environment for them to thrive as people, this teacher offered an experience that has guided my personal teaching philosophies.

In 2008 I was hired to teach at Diegueno Middle School. My 7th grade English teacher and my master teacher became my colleague. In the years since being hired, Linda Huston remained my teacher, my mentor, and colleague. Her passion for students spilled into whatever she did and it carried over into those who worked with her. My connection with Linda allowed for some amazing collaboration around student support and has been guiding my work as an educator and will continue to so for years to come.

Now in 2013 as I approach my tenth year in education, this blog reminds me of the value I place in connecting with those I work with. Collaboration is a tool we in SDUHSD use regularly and use it well. The connection with Linda Huston is unique, but not uncommon. Since I began teaching at Diegueno, I have worked in and through six different subjects. Much like some of conversations had this month on the blog, each new subject granted an opportunity to collaborate with other teachers who were already teaching that subject - the experts in our district. I am thankful for the people who willingly take on my questions, those who have reached out to help when I needed it and didn't realize it, and those I have the chance to pay it forward to in the years to come. I am proud of the connections made on a regular basis and the high level of education delivered in our district is a direct result of this practice.