Friday, October 11, 2013

Blogtoberfest, Day 11: Tracy Bryant

How have connections with other professionals improved your practice?  Today's entry is from Tracy Bryant, Social Science Teacher at Canyon Crest Academy:
CCA is my 5th high school. I am not counting my own high school or that one year I lost my mind temporarily and taught middle school. I wouldn't be who I am as a teacher without the help of my colleagues. My perspective on teaching is broad since my experiences have been so varied.
Collaboration? Heck- to-the-ya!

My first year of teaching was at a tough inner-city school where gang violence was the norm. I am not sure if I would have survived to teach another year without the help of three seasoned veterans with whom I team taught. It turned out to be a fabulously successful year. I didn't just survive I learned to thrive because of collaboration and discourse. My colleagues taught me to not sweat the small stuff and to be consistent with rules. Most importantly they shared their passion for teaching and helping others. 
However, my first big push to improve my craft was ten years ago at an innovative technology school in Colorado. We worked in pods and I often got my best ideas from outside of my subject area: math, language arts, foreign language, and science. Usually collaboration was inspired through prep periods in a common area and informal lunches. (It helped that we had 45 minutes to eat!) My colleagues were always amazing and it inspired me to be amazing. I was motivated to find my passion, connect with students, and to be innovative with my teaching.

Fast forward to Canyon Crest Academy with almost two decades of educational experience I still find it inspiring to work with other educators. Collaborative ideas are sparked by a brief chat waiting for a copy machine, stopping by the media center, or lunchtime. Some of my most creative collaborations have been with art teachers. Big success came when we had art students draw dream journals from psychology class. We discussed Freud, Jung, and Surrealism. More success came when we paired graphic art and world history in the post-classical world. Less successful but wildly entertaining was when we had the AP World students complete tape sculptures of students modeling ancient Greek and Roman statues. World History and AP World History classes have worked together for the last four years at CCA on projects, review sessions, lessons, and tests. The world history collaborations have helped us as much as it has helped our students. 
Reflecting over my career, I feel that collaborations have been at the center of my success as a teacher. The worst feeling is being alone at a new school with no one to offer input. On the flip side, the best feeling is helping out a colleague and paying it forward.