Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Blogtoberfest, Day 2: Lori Meyer

How have connections with other professionals improved your practice?  Today's entry is from Lori Meyer, English Teacher at Carmel Valley Middle School:
It is Saturday morning at 9:15 a.m. I just got off the telephone with Rene Sowers, District English Department Coordinator. Normally, I would not call a colleague on a Saturday morning, but Rene and I have been working together for many years and have been down a few “rabbit holes” together. I knew she would be kind and willing to briefly discuss common core transition meetings with me honestly and openly. Our ability to collaborate and capitalize on our connections makes this district the thriving success that it is today.

Connections make us better teachers. We learn from our colleagues as we build our professional learning communities on our campuses. I’m a far better teacher than I was before I came to this district and worked with Michelle Challis-Hall, Rene Sowers, Jamie Swope, Lauryn Gahagan, Kathryn Stevens, and so many others. Not a week goes by that I do not walk across the patio to consult with Angela Halpin, Jason Dickinson, or Gino Scalo. Working with science and social studies teachers from all over the district in the transition to common core standards has expanded my perspective on learning and instruction immeasurably. Connections allow us to grow as educators, sometimes in ways we never expected.

One afternoon a couple of years ago, a colleague (@HollyEdTechDiva) popped into my classroom and introduced me (@meyerteacher) to Twitter. She invited me to an “edchat” that afternoon. From that one connection, I have been introduced to educators from all over the world and have gained access to their knowledge and expertise. It took an “old-school” English teacher into the 21st century learning community overnight. Today, I do not teach in isolation. I teach with the resources available to me at the touch of 140 keystrokes. Problem solving became 1,000 times faster. Every day new avenues of connection open up for us to better communicate with parents, students and each other. Being open to learning from them is the key.

I’m so glad to be teaching in a district that values the power of connections and collaboration. I’m thrilled to work with people who care enough to share what they know. And I’m so glad Rene picked up the phone at 9:00 a.m. on a Saturday morning, so the work I do this weekend will be more focused and valuable to teachers.