Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Blogtoberfest, Day 15: Heidi Robson

How have connections with other professionals improved your practice?  Today's entry is from Heidi Robson, Math Teacher at Earl Warren Middle School:
How have connections with other teachers improved my practice? 
Where to start? 
Ugh. I don't like writing (I sound like some of my students who complain about math!). Can I just make a list? My mathematical mind likes things organized and concise.
  • Collaboration with other EWMS and district math teachers helps me to constantly think about how I can be approaching things differently. It's somewhat like problem solving in math. There's a lot of ways to get a correct answer, but what's the most efficient? What's the most in depth? What way haven't I considered before?
  • Reading blogs by other teachers from our district, as well as outside of our district, state, and country help me keep perspective about what's happening in education outside of my "bubble". Although we are bound by state standards with the content that we must teach, we're not bound to a certain approach or set of textbook exercises.
  • I've stayed connected with teachers from my previous job in San Diego City Schools. Being connected as friends with a common interest and passion for education helps me stay sane as well as being able to collaborate with people that have a different perspective.
  • Connections with other teachers have helped me with everything since the beginning of my teaching career: Figuring out lesson formats, pacing, best ways to communicate ideas, how to have a function (and useful) website, how to communicate with parents, how to make sure I'm reaching all of my students and making accommodations for those who need them,.... I could go on, and on, and on...