Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Blogtoberfest, Day 29: Michael Santos

How have connections with other professionals improved your practice? Today's entry is from Michael Santos, Science Teacher at San Dieguito Academy:
Collaboration is at the heart of the teaching profession. I feel that when you get into a room with other teachers, something magical happens. The sharing and collaboration just starts to flow like water breaking through a dam.

My experience going to National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) conferences has really been reenergizing to my teaching. It is always great to be in a room, or at an event, where there are people of the same mind and motivation. These teachers all have the goal to help kids, to incorporate interesting and exciting lessons in their classroom, and are always willing to share. I loved going to Seattle, Anaheim, and Charlotte to talk and interact with teachers that love science and kids. I think that going to these conferences in the early part of my teaching career really helped me stay focused on the kids and made the countless hours we all spend grading/working totally worth it.

With budget cuts, both at the district and in programs that used to fund me going to these conferences, the interactions with other professionals from all the nation has been nearly eliminated. But not to fear...I find myself connecting with stellar professionals every day. The teachers that surround me here at SDA always want to share best practices and to offer a helping hand in anything kid related. The science department here also creates a sense of openness that allows for a free flow of help and curriculum. I know that I am a better educator because I am surrounded by even better teachers that are willing to help me and inspire me to do more.