Monday, October 21, 2013

Blogtoberfest, Day 21: Julianna Newell

How have connections with other professionals improved your practice?  Today's entry is from Julianna Newell, Science Teacher at Torrey Pines High School:
Collaboration has been the heart of my teaching practice.

Before I even began working for SDUHSD, there were teachers like Isla Cordelae, Erika Pavlovich and Christina Collins supporting me by sharing their teaching connections and wonderful teaching practices. When I was hired at TPHS, it was teachers including Lindsey Olsen, Isla Cordelae, Angela Willden and Brian Bodas who helped me make a seamless transition and who were there to answer every question and lend support as I transitioned at TP. Collaboration is Charlenne Falcis-Stevens answering my every Aeries question and Patricia Storey, Liz Marshall and Tim Staycer supporting me with my SPED students. You get the picture. There are so many other amazing teachers who have helped me along the way - their names are too many to mention. 
Without collaboration, I might not have a job and I certainly would not be the teacher I am today. It is because of those around me graciously sharing their ideas, suggestions and proven teaching practices that I am able to go to work each and every day filled with joy (well, most days anyway). I know I'm not alone! I really think that is the point. Teachers sharing their experiences and insights with other teachers for the greater good of all of our students. We're all better because we have each other.