Sunday, October 20, 2013

Blogtoberfest, Day 20: Brian Shay

How have connections with other professionals improved your practice?  Today's entry is from Brian Shay, Math Teacher at Canyon Crest Academy:
I have been fortunate enough to have served the education community far beyond the walls of Canyon Crest Academy. My passion for service began as a student in my credential program, where my adviser had us attend state and national math teaching conferences. At these conferences I learned the value of looking outside myself for mentoring, instructional strategies, and assessment alternatives. I continued attending conferences and began presenting at state-level conferences when I began teaching at CCA. I have made it a point to reach out of my school and district for advice and support in helping all students succeed. The sessions I lead at conferences focus on using projects and problem solving in math classes to drive instruction. I show teachers, both new and experienced, the benefits of technology, interdisciplinary projects, and integrated projects within the mathematics curriculum. After presenting for many years at the state conference, I am now one of the teachers who organizes it (approximately 3000 teachers from across southern California attend this annual conference). This year, I have been able to funnel this energy and passion for professional development into my new role as Teacher on Special Assignment (ToSA) for Common Core Mathematics. We are implementing some massive pedagogical, instructional, curricular, assessment, and cultural shifts in our District's Mathematics Curriculum. Helping each mathematics teacher learn and explore these changes, and supporting them as they change their classroom practices is integral to a successful transition to our new state standards. It is only through these meaningful connections that teachers can fully implement and students be successful in learning the Common Core Standards.