Sunday, October 27, 2013

Blogtoberfest, Day 27: Samantha Greenstein

How have connections with other professionals improved your practice? Today's entry is from Samantha Greenstein, Science Teacher at Earl Warren Middle School:
Growing up, both of my parents worked in the field of education. I saw, day in and day out, that their jobs were more than just a place where they went to earn a paycheck. I saw my parents making connections with the people where they worked. My parent’s colleagues became their best friends and a part of our family. 
When I graduated from college, I wanted a job where I felt a part of a community. From my experiences growing up, I knew that becoming a teacher would provide that opportunity. I was right. Through my work in the San Dieguito district, I have met some of my best friends. Being able to connect with the people I work with on a deep level has improved my practice tremendously. It is only when people have complete trust in each other can they challenge their ideas and push them to be better. In effect, my professional connections and friendships have helped me better serve my students.