Sunday, September 9, 2012

Why Aren't You Using Diigo?

Diigo (www.diigo.com) is a bookmark-sharing service.  It has plugins for all major browsers, so at its simplest, you can use it to keep your bookmarks accessible from multiple computers, tablets, and smartphones.  Beyond that, though, it has a social component.  I can follow other people and see what they are bookmarking, and they can do likewise for me.  (You can set saved links to be private, if you want.) You can also organize your bookmarks into lists and get a public link for a list, which you can then share by email or on a blog for anyone to see, regardless of whether or not they have a Diigo account.  Basic accounts are free; there are paid plans starting at $20/year; but educators get a free Education account that allows you to set up groups for students so you can share web resources with them.

As part of my new position, I have been reading and research a lot about 21st-century skills, promising instructional methods, Web 2.0 tools, and other education technology topics.  I save the web pages and articles I find most useful to Diigo.  You can sign up for Diigo and follow me if you want to see those articles as I post them.  If you don't want to sign up or follow me, you can always see my EdTech list by going to www.diigo.com/list/kfairchild/ed_tech.  To get more information about Diigo itself, go to help.diigo.com/home.