Monday, June 24, 2013

First Thoughts from ISTE 13


First in a series from the San Antonio Convention Center...
  • Poster sessions are great; lots of ideas and people to talk to in a compressed space and time.
  • Last year at ISTE '12 in San Diego, I had just started my ToSA position and went in with a kind of blank mind.  This time I have two areas that I want to focus on for next year: (1) BYOD and (2) a coaching model for PD.  (I suppose I'm also on the lookout for Common Core-related items as well, but there doesn't seem to be much of that in the program.)
  • Apps and websites are uninteresting to me.  I can find the latest storytelling app or math support website, and I can pretty much figure out how to use it.  If not, I can ask my PLN about it.  A poster about a particular app makes me just walk right by.
  • I suppose I've also got a pretty good idea about what we should be having our students do with their apps, websites, and devices.  We want them creating, collaborating, communicating, and thinking critically.  The big question now is how do we implement this?  Hence, BYOD and PD.
  • I should have brought my phone charger with me instead of leaving it in the room.  Tomorrow....