Monday, April 8, 2013

Goodbye Google Reader, Hello Feedly

Back in September I wrote about Google Reader as a good way to begin reading blogs and building your Personal Learning Network.  If you followed my advice, then you have probably seen in the last few weeks that Google has decided to pull the plug on Reader, for reasons that to me are less than clear.  Despite the Twitter protests (use hashtag #savegooglereader), Google does not seem amenable to changing their plans.

I've been looking into alternative RSS readers and my favorite so far is Feedly.  It will read your Google Reader subscriptions, so if you have a lot of blogs you read, importing is very easy.  Feedly has a nice, magazine-style look; it reminds me of Zite, my favorite magazine app which is unfortunately not available for Android tablets, only phones.  It took me a while to get used to the interface, but that would be true for any new software.

If you're looking to start using an RSS reader now, or need to migrate from Google Reader to something else, take a look at Feedly.