Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Virtual History!

As we begin our study of Anne Frank's Diary, I am looking for new ways to connect my students to the vast array of historical background information on WWII and the Holocaust. My first step was to take the students on a "virtual field trip" to the Anne Frank house in Amsterdam at www.annefrank.org. Headphones/earbuds were my only roadblock in this activity. Kids need to bring their own headphones, or your site needs to supply them. The tour guide talks to the student as he or she moves "virtually" through the Secret Annex. I let the students choose where to go and what to record as interesting information. Another resource I have been using is primary source documents  through two online resources: http://docsteach.org and beyondthebubble.stanford.edu. Both use pictures and documents from the era to help students learn to evaluate media and draw conclusions.
The response from students was favorable. Does anyone haveother resources to suggest?